Saturday, April 5, 2014

Vintage Altered Bottle

Hi there,

I finally finished altering one of the largest wine bottles that I have ever worked with. I love the way it turned out.  It has a vintage feel with fun textural appeal. I used cheesecloth as my main texture component. I ran pieces of cheesecloth through my Xyron 5" machine and began adding layers after layers until the bottle was covered.  I gesso'd the cheesecloth to prep it for various Lindy's Stamp Gang ink sprays. Love them! I also added some crocheted ribbon to the neck of the bottle. I was able to adhere it with some Teresa Collins Clear Hold Adhesive.  I then aged the bottle with a brown big brush marker.  The marker enhanced the pattern in the cheesecloth nicely.

 
The following pic is a close up of the seam binding and embellishment.  I dyed the seam binding using old coffee and vintage photo distress ink. The charm is an art-i-cake charm found at Michaels. The topper was an unbelievable find from Hobby Lobby. It was lying on the floor of the door knob section of my Hobby Lobby store.  Obviously broken, I decided to inquire about the cost since it was already in the shape I needed it.  The manager was so sweet. She took 80% off of the original price of item. It worked perfectly for this project.

 



Vintage Altered Bottle by Karen Jiles Supplies Seam Binding: Hug Snug; Charm: art-I-cake; Ink sprays: Lindy’s Stamp Gang; Gesso: Liquitex; Marker: Faber Castell; Adhesive: Xyron; Other: Wine Bottle, Cheesecloth, Knob; Crocheted Ribbon

Thanks so much for visiting today...:)

2 comments:

Linsey said...

This is gorgeous Karen! Amazing upcycle!!! :)

Karen Jiles said...

Thanks, Linsey!!!