Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Super Cool Altered Camera

Hi there,

I would like to share one of the most enjoyable Altered Art pieces that I had an opportunity to create. It’s an Altered Camera!!! I love how it turned out. Several months ago, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what would make a great tutorial for Scrapbook News & Review Magazine. So, I visited one of the nearby thrift store in my area and ran across a few old super cool cameras. I just knew that playing with them for an Altered project would just be perfect. Well, this is the result…



When I started, the only requirement that I had was that it still needed to look like a camera in the end…I then dug through some fun stuff from my stash and pulled out some Nature related embellishments. With nature in mind, I decided that the base of the camera needed to be full of texture to compliment the nature theme. I covered the camera with cheesecloth and gesso- Love that stuff!! Then sprayed various inks on it to age it a bit and added my embellies. One of the fun things about using various inks is that you get a chance to just go wild with them until you have achieved the look you desire. I enhanced the "camera” with a brown brush marker to ensure that it was still somewhat clear that this was and still is a super cool camera. Loved the end result!

This was SUPER fun.
Thanks for visiting today,
Karen


2 comments:

Susan D said...

Karen, do you sell your artwork...this is amazing!!!

Karen Jiles said...

Thanks, Sue. It's often hard to part with pieces like this, but I do a lot of commission work and knowing that a piece already has a new home when I start it makes it a little easier.